Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"The Main Man's" Main Man...

Crap!

Well, at least tonight's post isn't a eulogy.

But, not by much.

Roger Slifer is in a medically induced coma at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center tonight, thanks to a hit-and-run driver who hit Slifler in a crosswalk around 1:00 AM Saturday morning.

You probably don't know his name. But, if you are a child of the '90s, you know his work as a producer and writer on animated shows like "G.I. Joe," "Gem and the Holograms" and some obscure series called "Transformers."

But, if you are a comic book nerd like me, especially if you love the comic books of the the 1980s and '90s, then you know Roger as the co-creator of the most over the top, bad-ass, ass kickingest anti-hero in comics history.

Lobo.

"The Main Man."

If you know who Lobo is then, you know what I'm talkin' about!

Thinking about this has got me thinking that I should write a piece about DC Comics in the 1980s. I'm of a mind to do that later this week.

So, I won't go into a long dissertation about Lobo, right now.

Suffice to say, for the moment, that this guy who looks like the love child of Gene Simmons and Arnold Schwartzenegger was a poke at all of the grim, ultra-violent comic book characters that were the trend in the Reagan Era.

And he was just so hilariously wrong on so many levels!

I'll catch you up later.

In the meantime, The Curmudgeon's thoughts are with Roger and his family. I hope he comes out alright on the other end.

I hope that they find the hit-and-run driver who is responsible.

And, that little part of me that is compassionate hopes that the LAPD finds him before Lobo does. Because, believe me, that would be ugly!

No comments:

Post a Comment