Sunday, February 5, 2012

Zombie Sheep

A couple of years ago, I sent an email to a "conservative" pundit. It turns out that this is a bad idea. You are safer picking up a hooker at a "Survivors of a Sexually Transmitted Disease" convention. My email address went viral in the right-wing internet community and now my inbox is filled, daily, with right-wing propaganda.  I am always tempted to mark these emails as "junk." But, it is just too entertaining and enlightening to read the lies that they disseminate. (i.e.: "Hillary is going to sign the United Nation's Small Arms treaty. This will mean that Obama will be able to take your guns away from you.") I spend about 20 precious minutes of my life fact checking everything that these emails tell me. (The U.N. Small Arms treaty has NOTHING to do with American's Second Amendment rights.) I wonder why so many conservatives put up with being lied to as much as they do. I think that conservative pundits are not stupid, but believe that their followers are. (And, I'm not so sure that they're wrong about that.) I have exactly one conservative friend (at least, among those that I discuss politics with) that seems to actually think for himself. And, I thank his God for him! (Hi, Terry Joe!) The rest just lap up the propaganda like a bunch of zombie sheep. I fear that there is no hope for them. Here is a fun game... Copy the comments that your conservative friends make on Facebook, emails or message boards and paste them into Google. See how many hits you find of the exact, verbatim comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment