Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Unfriended

Your old Uncle PC was "unfriended" over on the Facebook™, yesterday.

C'est dommage.

(Which is French for "That's dommage.")

It's not the first time.

And, if it is the last time, then I will have not done my job.

But, I think that this is the first time that someone has sent me a private message alerting my to the unfriending.

This person is an old friend.

And when I say "old," I mean "old."

We were friends in junior high and the beginning of high school.

So we're talking in the neighborhood of 40 years ago or so.

We grew apart in our sophomore year, when his parents went over the deep end and began taking him to actual, honest to God, evangelical tent revivals.

Can I get an "AMEN?"



After a couple of months of hearing about how everything a normal high school kid does in high school...

...Movie dates... dark + girl = evil, school dances... boy + girl + dark x [bodies touching] + rock and roll = evil. And about that rock and roll... evil, evil, evil.

This friend was the first to inform me that my favorite band's name, KISS, stood for "Knights In Satan's Service." Because, he knew stuff.

...Was evil...

                                                   And, because three nice Jewish boys and one devout Catholic
                                                   (who was known to genuflect before his big solo ballad and 
                                                   to tell the audience, "God bless you all!" after it was done,) 
                                                   were all about "Satan's service."

Bottom line... even at the tender age of 16, this young bloggling had a pretty low threshold for pious bullshit.

Fast forward to two years ago...

Two old men reconnect via the social media.

Nothing earth shattering.

Just a "Hey, good to see you! Hope all is well." sort of reunion.

Jump to yesterday...

Witness...


The PC's reply...

"No worries."

The PC likes to keep things civil on the Facebook™.

Jumping into the mud and getting my rude on is what this space is for.

So, let's break it down, shall we?

In no particular order.

In his message, he begins and ends with, "my (old) friend."

He believes that debating our political differences would not be "beneficial to our friendship."

As I have mentioned in the past, I actually do have a dozen or so "Conservative" friends, maybe more. And, I am actually "friended" with most of them on Facebook™.

I love them all, for who they are, to varying degrees.

And, they love me, for who I am.

It's all good.

Many of them ignore my, admittedly, many liberal leaning posts.

A few of them choose to engage in thoughtful debate, which I am happy to entertain.

But, those who do engage, all seem to want to use some variation if the phrase, "my friend." As if to remind me that, even though we disagree, there are no hard feelings.

And, I'm okay with that. But, in case they need to be reminded, I get it.

He (I feel the need to give "him" a name. Let's call him "Alec." As in the right-wing, think-tank, lobbyist group, "A.L.E.C.") feels that my Facebook™ posts have become "more and more polarized."

"Polarized."

Since Day One on Facebook™, my posts have reflected my values and beliefs.

And, by "beliefs," I mean, "verifiable facts," because I don't pull "beliefs" out of my ass.

So, when "Alec" says, "polarized," he really means, posts that reflect the opposite of his beliefs.

Posts that he won't (or can't) offer reasonable discourse in response to.


*Grammar Police!!!!!*

"Never end a sentence with a preposition."


Okay, fine.

Posts that he won't (or can't) offer reasonable discourse in response to, because he is an asshole.

Happy?

"Alec" began his message by asking me to "please [not] be offended." 

Do you know what?

I'm not offended that he has "unfriended" me.

I am offended by his choice of method.

We have, seriously, not had any sort of meaningful conversation in nearly four decades.

He could have quietly "unfriended" me  and I never would have noticed.

He could have chosen to "ignore" my posts, in which case, we would have remained "friends" without his ever having to see my posts.



It amazes me when a genius, and I am not being sarcastic, here (for a change...) 

*"Alec" was one of those guys that was the first to sign up for the computer lab, when the high school got one. He was a "nerd" before Fonzie's writers coined the term.*

It amazes me when a genius, a guy who spoke COBOL before it was cool, can't figure out how Facebook™ works.

I'm not offended that he "unfriended" me.

I'm offended by his pious, high horse, need to tell me that the only way that he could possibly hold me in "the highest regard," is to pretend that my views do not exist.

And, I am gob-smacked by his self delusion that his own views are "moderate."

So, "No worries, "Alec."

Don't let the door hit you on your way out...

"My friend."

_____________________________


So, you ask.

If I'm not offended, why am I giving him so much of my attention?

Good question!

The "unfriending" by "Alec" is not the problem.

It's a symptom.

The "conservative, right-wing, tea party," propaganda machine is imploding, on the eve of the 2014, mid-term election cycle.

The not at all liberal media is panicking.

"What to do? What to do?"

The only answer is, like my "old friend" "Alec," has chosen to do, is to silence progressive voices, and pretend that they don't exist.

For about a decade, KTLK 1150 AM radio, has been the only progressive voice in Los Angeles.

KTLK has been an oasis in a sea of right-wing talk radio.

KTLK has, since it's inception, hosted liberal talkers like Al Franken, Thom Hartman, Ed Shultz, Rachel Maddow and Ron Reagan. Their current line up is Bill Press, Stephanie Miller, Randi Rhodes and a couple of local people.

On January 2nd, 2014, KTLK owner, Clear Channel, is moving the station to the far right.

In past years, KTLK has been known as "All That's Left," "Progressive Talk" and "Your Voice."

But, on January 2nd, KTLK will become "The Patriot: True American Values."

They are evicting liberal talkers Bill Press, Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes, and replacing them with Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and the Messianic conspiracy theorist, Glen Beck.

Not because these voices have been absent in Los Angeles. Every one of them have been enjoying air-time on L.A. radio on other stations.

But rather, to silence the progressive voices in the year leading up to the 2014, mid-term elections.

Because the Republican ideology is, "If you can't beat them, fair and square, play dirty and drown them out."

Your Uncle PC sent an email to the programmers at Clear Channel.

If you live in Los Angeles, I invite you to send a message, yourself. 

If you don't live in L.A., understand that your town is next.

You may copy and paste this one, or, write one of your own.

"I am sickened and disgusted to learn of Clear Channel's plan to shift Los Angeles' only progressive voice to the far right. 


"The Patriot" my ass.


Rush, Sean and Glen hate everything that American democracy is about. 


Go right ahead and make your change.
Enjoy your profits pandering to the fringe right-wing.


You have lost this loyal listener, as well as thousands of other progressive Angelians. 


I'm feeling betrayed. 


You still have time. Please rethink this move."
Send your email to...

Programming@KTLKAM1150.com

Or call: (818) 566-6476

Or write:

KTLK AM 11503400 W Olive Ave Ste 550
Burbank CA 91505 



It probably won't do Jack Shit.

But, there is no harm in trying. 


1 comment:

  1. OH Clear channel owns EVERYTHING... they have Sirius XM too..

    and your friend.. maybe you should direct him to the facebook group One Million Moms.. sounds like he'll fit right in... UGH...So long "Alec" aka "friend"

    ReplyDelete