Monday, January 13, 2014

Only in L.A.: A Tale From the Front (and some other stuff)

Wow! So how pissed off was your Uncle PC, last night?

In the sober light of day, The Blog decided to go back and remove his former friend's name and link to his Facebook page from last night's post.

But, seriously.

Dumping a bunch of invective on me, then "unfriending" me so I couldn't respond?

How typically Republican of him.

                                       ____________________________________

Moving on and lightening up.

An old friend shared a story on Facebook, tonight, about her evening at The Golden Globes™ a few years ago, sitting next to the actor Hector Elizondo and being blown away by the parade of stars (including Sean Connery) who stopped by to pay their respect.



Which reminded The Blog of his own Hector Elizondo encounter...

A couple of years ago, I was in the men's room at the Falcon Theater in Toluca Lake. At the urinal next to me was Hector Elizondo.

I said, "Aww, [crap]." (I won't swear that I said "crap." I think I said something else.)

"What?" he asked.

"Every actor and rock star I have ever known has a 'fan in the restroom' story. I never wanted to ever be one of those fans," I explained.

He chuckled.

At the end of our encounter, he said, "Now that we have both washed our hands, may I shake yours?"

He is a class act with a great sense of humor!
                                           _________________________________________

Speaking of the Falcon Theater...


The Falcon is a small theater in the affluent Burbank, CA neighborhood known as Toluca Lake. It is owned by movie director and television sit-com legend, Garry Marshall. 


A couple of posts ago, I wrote about Mrs. Blog's recent hospital visit and the pre-emption of our planned attendance that day at The Troubadour Theater Company's annual Christmas show at the Falcon.



When I called the Falcon box office, to tell them to go ahead and release our seats, I was told that I could call back every performance day, until the show closed, and if seats were available, (the show, as is the case with all Troubie shows, was very sold out,) we could have them.

Last Wednesday, I called the theater and asked about availability for that evening. I spoke to the same woman who I talked to on Sunday, and she knew our situation.

"I'm sorry," she said. "We don't have any seats available, tonight."

She paused.

"Wait," she said. "Let me put you on hold for a minute."

A minute, or maybe two, later, she was back.

"I have seats for you, if you don't mind that they are in Row G, seats 101 and 102."

I took them and we had a great time.

Here's the point.

The Falcon is a very small theater. There are only seven rows and Row G is the row at the top of the house.

I have been attending shows at the Falcon long enough to know that Row G, seats 101 thru 104 are Garry Marshall's personal seats. At one particular show, he sat in those very seats with Hector Elizondo and his family.

When Garry is not using those seats, himself, he gives them to his friends.

Last week, he gave them to us.

I have no words to adequately express my appreciation for Garry's generous act.

The PC hopes that this post is a start.




No comments:

Post a Comment